Sprocket Rocket Filter Ring Mod
In our last episode, I found myself taping a green filter to my Lomography Sprocket Rocket. I liked the results very much, but didn’t like the tape job. Also, the Bay-1 filter I used was actually visible in some frames depending on focus. So, it’s time for a mod!
I got a 43mm -> 52mm filter step-up ring. There are two screws on the face of the Rocket, but get this: those are ornamental. I tried to unscrew them but they don’t catch. I think they’re rivets. So the circumference of the area between the “screws” and the lens is perfect for 43mm. I happen to have a bunch of 52mm filters so this works out well. Given the extreme wide field of view I worry that something narrower, say a 48mm filter plus the step up ring, might actually extend out far enough to be visible in the frame. 52mm seems perfect.
I sanded the back edge of the step up ring to remove the anodized black and give my cement a better chance to hold. Then I used contact cement to affix it to the face of the Rocket. The seal feels pretty solid to me.
Now I’m ready to shoot some Tri-X pushed to 1600.. and beyond!
UPDATE: See results here.
And yes, if you missed my custom covering for the Sprocket Rocket, details on that are here.previous post: Flickr: The NEW New next post: Roller Derby: Feliz Brutality
This entry was posted on Thursday, May 10th, 2012 at 7:30 pm
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.